Last night, we went to the Nutcracker. My mom, J, me, N & S. We took 2 cars so that N and J could come home earlier, if necessary (we've seen condensed versions of the Nutcracker two prior years and both times, we all left earlier because N was "done"). We figured why make S leave early just because his brother was done.
We had a full evening (of course the boys chose yesterday to wake up early from their naps): we read a couple of their new library books (full versions of the Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast), passed out our goodies to the neighbors (I never make enough), opened up two new ornaments from Gram, had dinner, went to the bathroom, brushed teeth and changed into "nice" clothes. Then we were off... in traffic of course but we were easily there on time. And then we waited. And waited. The show started 15 minutes late, which is an ETERNITY when you've already been waiting 10-15 minutes and also when it is inching toward 8PM (which would normally be bed time).
Finally, the show started. This was our first try at a full production. There was the full orchestra (I love that). This was definitely a jump up from the one we had been to the last two years. But it was also longer. And more grown up. When the show finally started, the curtain stayed down during the first song. And it seemed like the longest song ever as I was wanting the show to start so the boys would have something to watch. Once the curtain came up, N was very concerned where the Nutcracker was and so he kept asking me when it was going to show up. Luckily it finally did a good 20 minutes later! S sat on the edge of his seat (he was sitting in his own seat) completely enthralled. The look on his face (the wonder, the fascination) is what I need to sear into my brain so I can remember that doing these things can be worth the effort and the little pain we have to go through. N was sitting on my lap and was already sinking in, sucking his finger and playing with my hair. He got a little more into it when the mouse and the nutcracker fought. But then when the normal ballet dancing was going on, it was hard to hold his attention. I'm pretty sure he'd do so much better if we could find an earlier show but for some reason 7:30 is the earliest most of the shows start. N then moved to Grammie's lap and then back to mine. He asked me a couple of times how much more was left.
The intermission arrived and he was excited to think the show was over. It was already 8:30/8:45 at this time. So late... especially for him. I told J I thought he and N should probably go. N fought us and really wanted to stay and we almost caved but then he was fussy and it was so obvious he was tired. I just didn't know how to go about it so that he would understand he wasn't being punished; it was just that he was tired and so it was time for him to go home. He was so very bummed when he realized he was going to go home AND S and mommy and Gram were not. A complete meltdown occurred but J got him out and said that he quickly calmed down once he got in the truck with J. I really felt bad about this but not sure how else we could have handled it. He would have been more upset (I think) if we had said just S, Gram and mommy were going to the show without him and there was no way he would have made it through the whole show. This will definitely sit with me for a bit.
After the intermission, S decided to sit on my lap and the three of us watched the show. The second half of the Nutcracker is so much more entertaining (I think) than the first. There are all the different dance shows for Clara (the Arabian, the Russian, the Chinese, etc.). S sat so still. We had to make a very fast bathroom break near the end and then we came back and he sat so still and watched the rest of the show. I was so very impressed. I was tired. I'm sure he was too (he almost fell asleep on the way home). It was 9:45PM!
We got home and he looked like he was asleep but I kind of figured he was faking it (he likes to do that). Sure enough when Gram put him on the chaise so I could get him in his PJ's, he tried so hard to stay so still but I could tell he was trying so hard not to laugh. He little mouth was turning up so slightly while he was sucking his thumb. When I started laughing, he couldn't contain it anymore. Pretty funny. And, once I got him in his PJ's, I carried him to bed and he went right to sleep with no fuss. It was great. And late! This AM (I had to go to work) came way too soon. The boys were both still sleeping when I left this morning. Hopefully, they got a little extra sleep - they sure needed it.
Today is Christmas Eve. Wow. It sure got here fast. I have a bunch of wrapping to do still when I get home and I haven't done any of the food prep AT ALL for dinner tonight or for the big Christmas lunch tomorrow. I guess I'll be a busy bee today when I get home.
Dinner: leftover pasta, chicken with roasted potatoes, broccoli, pears, homemade peppermint marshmallows.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment