Friday, April 30, 2010

Special Treats

For the longest time, the only thing the boys would get to eat after their dinner was some kind of fresh fruit. They still do. Luckily, getting them to eat fruit has never been an issue for us. However, we've had many reasons to have special treats lately and so now it common practice to hear one or both of them ask me as they are finishing their dinner - any special treats tonight? They get soooo bummed if/when there are no special treats which of course stresses me out that special treats have become too frequent if they are now expecting them.

This week's special treats included a 1/4 of a cookie from the Farmer's market (mmm), a trip to the shaved ice truck on Tuesday since it was relatively nearby (we took the little next door neighbor girl with us - no parents, just the boys, the girl and J and I... which was a big deal for the boys and they loved it and of course they loved the shaved ice), a trip to Baskin Robbins Wednesday since they were having 31 cent scoop night (which turned into a trip to Pinkberry since the line at BR was out. the. door. We took the slightly older neighbor kids from across the street, again with no parents, and the boys loved it. again. as well as loved their Pinkberry). Last night there were no treats and so there was lots of fussing and whining that wasn't there just a little special treat somewhere.

Overall, we've had a great week. I unfortunately wound up working late pretty much 3 of the 5 nights this week. I guess that is one of the reasons I didn't feel sooo bad about all the treats. At least I had something fun to suggest when I got home and it was so late and it was almost bedtime. Flip side was that meant by the time we got the treat and vamped back down, the boys went to sleep late pretty much every night this week. Really felt like summer. A special excitement in the air. And lots of playing outside with the neighbors.

No comments: