So, the great questions have continued this week. A couple days ago, one of the boys (sadly, I don't recall which one) asked me how the baby got in the mommy's tummy (one of our neighbors recently became pregnant and we told the boys so they'd be gentle near her tummy). I explained how once the mommy and daddy loved each other and knew they wanted to have a child that the daddy gave the mommy's egg a sperm. That of course raised the question as to what was a sperm and where did it come from. I explained it was a part of a man's body. Luckily, that simple answer worked (for now). Then once the egg and sperm connected, it made the baby (a very tiny one) and then the baby would grow in the mommy's tummy. The next question was how does the baby come out. N remembered that they came out of my tummy when the doctor cut them out. I explained that sometimes that's how it works and sometimes the baby comes out of a hole in the mommy's (and at this point I just pointed to my privates).
At this point, S declared that he wouldn't have to be cut since he was a boy and a baby wouldn't grow inside him. But that his wife might have to be cut when she had the baby. Then the three of us proceeded to talk about the families on the street and how many people in each family could have a baby (the girls/women) and how many couldn't (the men/boys). Considering this was really our first birds and bees conversation, I think it went really well. It was totally true that you don't have to get into too much detail; that the children just want to feel like you are answering them and not trying to avoid the discussion.
Later, I think the next day, we were discussing MJ. I had downloaded one of his songs and told the boys that was who was singing. They remembered he died and I said yes, remember all those helicopters. They then asked (I think it was N) why the helicopters were flying here when MJ died. I explained that there was a cemetery across the way and that was where he was being buried. That raised more questions - what is a cemetery? What is buried? What happens to your brain when you die? I kept trying to answer but since I don't really know, I was having a really hard time. Finally, S (I think) looked at me and said, Mommy, you just don't know do you? And I laughed (and at this point they were laughing really hard too), I said no. They just thought it was so funny that I kept trying to talk about something I didn't know. So, I didn't do so great with this one conversation. I guess that made me 1 for 2 for the week!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment