Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Water and Other Fun Stuff

Okay, been a bit since the last post. Weekends fly by... this weekend we did our normal routine of date night Friday, Saturday AM coffee with music class friends and then music class. However, instead of heading to the park after class, we decided to go bowling because it was so freaking hot here. So, off we headed to the bowling alley - 5 kids, 5 adults but only the kids were bowling. We stayed about 45 minutes and the kids had a blast as did the adults. So much better than melting in the heat at the park.

Sunday, J & the boys headed to Target to pick up a new kiddie pool (our last one got busted at our great July 4th Bike Parade). They came back and the kids (and J eventually) played in the water the rest of the morning. We had a simple picnic lunch break, a bit more water play and then great naps for everyone. Back in the water after nap, a visit from our neighbor that is temporarily moving to NY for a couple of months, a very late dinner.

One of the evening, the boys jumped in the back end of the truck (I guess you'd call it the truck bed) to play with the various bungee cords and hooks that J has in there. They had a blast just hooking, unhooking the cords, climbing over the truck bed divider, etc. Silly how the simplest things can be so much fun.

The days are flying - hard to believe it is already Wednesday. How do the great bloggers post daily? Last night was the twins' club monthly meeting. They had a parenting coach as the speaker and she was talking about Anger Management. Something near and dear to my heart because I'm not the best at managing my anger. My approach has always been to try to avoid getting angry and then when I fail I just start yelling. Not so good with kids. So, the meeting was a great one for me and hopefully I can learn some better anger techniques. I think the meeting also pointed out to me that perhaps my anger flares up because I need to learn some better discipline techniques but I guess one thing at a time.

What are my triggers? Not listening. Rude People. I don't think my boys are rude - far from it. I think I hit my triggers when I see them exhibiting behaviors that make me think folks would perceive them as rude. Even if they are such normal little kid behaviors. And the listening, or lack there of, don't even get me started. So, my work is to figure out how to not let these things set me off and how to better create realistic situations - perhaps it is as simple as if a child isn't listening as I am saying something, instead of yelling, going over, touching him softly on the shoulder, looking him in the eye and quietly saying what I need him to hear. Or not taking their behaviors personally and just using each one as a teaching opportunity to help better shape the boys.

Dinner: Grilled salmon, roasted potatoes, snap peas, salad, plums.
Stories: Not sure (J was on solo bedtime duty since I was at the twins club meeting)
Play: Making flower people for Gigi's b'day card, Legos (of course!), blocks, movie (N's choice - he chose Horton Hears a Who)

No comments: