Monday, August 10, 2009

Change

We started this weekend with our normal routine, date-night Friday (S and I walked to our restaurant which was a really nice change), movie night (new movie - Wall-E), Saturday AM coffee with our music friends, and then music class. We've taken the boys to music class pretty much every Saturday since they were about 1 yr old. We've had the same teacher the whole time. We had to switch up our routine a bit to follow the teacher to the time slot for our new level this last year. Music class is definitely a highlight of my week.

After class, our teach (Ms E) made an announcement that next week was our last class for the Summer session and that the Fall session would start up 3 weeks after that. I double checked that the schedule was staying the same and she told me "no - new schedule is on the board". Ugh. Took a look (expecting to shift times again) and the only Saturday time for Ms E for our new level is going to be 12:30. The boys nap around 12:45/1ish so that couldn't/wouldn't work for us. Oh no. We have to go with a new teacher. I teared up (seriously) but suppressed it some as I realized how ridiculous that was. (I later cried in the privacy of my bedroom).

It is funny that with kids there can be so much more variety and new things to experience yet at the same time life can become more scheduled. Especially with the boys (I think this is a twins thing), I have held so tight to their routine. I naturally avoid change, did pre-kids and seem to do so even more now that I have the boys. The new teacher thing really threw me for a loop and actually made me feel off the rest of the day. I think perhaps some of the apprehension is that the new teacher represents change, more than just saying good-bye to a teacher we (the boys, J and I) love. It comes at a time when the boys are about to start preschool, the kids interact with each other differently (they are concerned what others think more and more and alter their behavior/actions as a result of that), they are shifting further and further from little boys and closer and closer to being boys.

Luckily, they haven't given up snuggling (completely) or sitting in my lap (completely) or wanting to spend time with us. But, as things change, I know those things are coming.

At the same time, some changes have been so great to see. We had our friends over that have twin boys very close (i.e. within months) in age to N & S. They came over for a dinner BBQ. The boys played so well together and the adults were actually able to have a conversation and enjoy each other. We were laughing about how hard it used to be - we'd need to bring our kids' booster seats, so much more crap, etc. and we spend the majority of the evening dealing with the boys. Any conversations were typically interrupted midstream and by the time you could go back to it no one remembered what in the world we were trying to talk about.

Dinner: BBQ ribs, green beans, corn on the cob, bread, watermelon, Mochi.

Activities: Music class, park, BBQ with our friends, Wall-E movie

No comments: