Today was the boys' first day of preschool. They had gone to a little open house of sorts last week where they got to see their room, meet their teacher and see all the different toys in the room. I really think that helped as they were probably very excited to get to go back and play with the toys again. So, J & I and the boys headed off to their preschool. All the parents were there with their child waiting for the gate to open so they could drop their child off. We were there a little early and had to wait. Boys did great waiting. N got a little antsy, which is to be expected with him. When the gate opened, we walked them to their room and said good-bye and in they went. They barely looked back at us. We peeked in at them through the window as the other kids were coming in and they were already going back to their favorite toys from the open house. They both saw us and smiled and said hi and that was it.
The parents then had a parent orientation meeting with the preschool director. Our meeting lasted about 1 1/2 hours and the kids were going to have an abbreviated day for their first day and it was only going to be 1 1/2 hours as well. Meeting was interesting but mostly it made me feel that most of the good stuff in terms of volunteering, being a part of the boys' school experience was going to be difficult for me as a working mom.
Once the meeting was over, the parents all headed back to the gate and waited for it to be opened so we could go collect our kids. We went in, S & N saw us and smiled really big. Teacher said everyone did really well for the first day and it went better than expected. S was grinning from ear to ear and seemed really excited about school. N was smiling but less exuberantly but he typically is more reserved. As we walked out, we were excited to hear what they did. S & N both said they didn't remember... welcome to school, I suppose. There will be many more days, years of pulling teeth to get them to communicate I'm sure. In the meantime, I guess I'll see what I can find out tonight when I get home.
Overall, I was just so proud of them. How they went in with no tears, no clingy and just were excited for their next adventure. I'm sure it helped that they had each other for such a big new experience.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment