Thursday, August 13, 2009

Slowing Down and Trying to be More Patient

I read an article/blog about Conscious Parenting. It advocates being emotionally in tune with your child(ren) and helping them to feel those emotions and work through them. I'm definitely an anger avoider. I don't know how to express my anger effectively. I typically suppress it as long as possible and then I explode. Anger gets released through tears. How does one help her child deal with anger appropriately when she doesn't know how to do so herself? I'm thinking of taking one of their parenting classes/series. I think what they say makes a lot of sense - I just am completely at a loss of how to implement the process.

In the meantime, I am trying to slow down and rather than immediately lashing out when the boys do something inappropriate, I'm trying to be calm, understand if there is a reason behind it and talk to them about their feelings and my feelings. For example, we had a great evening last night. It was concert night and we all had a great time (fresh air makes things so much easier for some reason). When we got home, the boys were a bit vamped up and S was bouncing to me while I was trying to pick him up to change him into his PJ's. We avoided colliding once but then he caught me off guard and jumped up right when I leaned down to pick him up. His very hard noggin plowed right into my chin and made my teeth clang together. It really hurt. A lot. I tried to remain calm and tell him that it really hurt me. He started laughing and I told him that hurt my feelings as it made me feel that he was happy the accident happened. I kept trying to let him know I knew the whole thing was an accident. I did get frustrated though and have him finish getting himself dressed while I left the room. However, when it came time to have our one-on-one story time in his room, he snuggled in, asked me how it hurt when we had our accident, if it still hurt, when would it stop hurting, etc. We talked about it rationally and with no blame. I think it made both of us feel better.

N, concerned for me when I told him my jaw hurt and that he needed to be gentle around me, leaned over and quietly kissed me on the jaw before I started his story. He really can be so sweet.

Dinner: picnic at the concert (cheese/left over taco meet/corn tortillas, green beans, strawberries, packets of cheerios, cut up dried fruit and pecans)

Activities: Lego's, crazy noisy dinosaur "robots", concert

Books: My Friend is Sad (S), Ms Bindergarten has a Wild Day at Kindergarten (N)

No comments: