This is a late post based on my Friday with the boys. I took Friday off to take the boys to their last swim class. They've taken swim classes every MWF this summer for 15 minutes each day. N figured out early on that he could touch the bottom of the "small" pool so he did so. His teacher moved him to the big pool so that wouldn't be an option. Once that happened, N really learned to swim fast... yes, swim. Friday I saw my little boy swim across the pool a couple of times, jump of the diving board and then swim to the side, and even "dive" down to the bottom of the pool to pick up a ring the teacher threw down for him to get. Wow. So exciting. He is a natural.
I also saw S try so hard to swim across the pool. He'd come up for a breath and his body would become vertical and stay that way so he'd be treading water. That takes so much energy and he'd keep trying. But he wouldn't get anywhere and he'd get this panicked look on his face, looking over at his teacher willing her to help him. She'd keep telling him to kick and let him try to figure it out himself. I so wanted to go help him. But didn't. I so wanted to cry. But willed myself not to. I kept a smile plastered on my face so not to cause him extra worry by seeing me worry. He did get to the side (with a little push from his teacher). He also jumped off the diving board and got to the side (with a little push from his teacher). He tried to get the ring from the bottom of the pool. He kept trying so hard and he kept smiling.
I don't want to compare kids. The swimming classes at the same time really emphasized their different strengths. N is naturally athletic. S is not naturally athletic but he is so persistent and tries so hard and just wants to make everyone happy. I just want them both to be happy.
Dinner (Friday): with Grammie... skirt steak, roasted BN squash, green beans, bread, peach/blueberry cobbler.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment