Friday, October 9, 2009

Process more than Results

It's been a bit (and there I was doing so well about posting for a few days) but we've all been sick the last couple of weeks. I meant to post this yesterday but the day got away from me...

Wednesday night, I decided I'd make butternut squash gnocchi since we didn't really have anything else in the fridge for dinner. I sent Joel and the boys out to the park (and to get me gas) and they asked as they were going out what we were going to have for dinner. I told them and they asked if they could help when they got back and I told them sure. So I got everything ready - steamed the BN squash, made the dough (I could remember the recipe so I kind of improvised some), went to get the sage for the sage-butter sauce but we had no sage in the garden, made the side dish (broccoli) and fruit, and got the table ready. Finally the boys came home. I rolled the gnocchi dough into long strips and then the boys got up on their stools and cut the pieces for me (with a table knife). There was a bunch of flour on the counter for the rolling and they decided they wanted to play with it. I let them play with it while I cooked the gnocchi and they had a blast - moving it around, making patterns in it, putting it in the measuring cup, taking it out of the measuring cup, etc. Finally it was time for dinner.

Ugh, The gnocchi turned out so not good. The boys ate it and seemed to enjoy it but that may be the whole they helped make it so they were invested in it thing. However, it was one of the more fun dinners we've had. The boys did tell me that they'd love to help me more in the kitchen so I've got to figure out how to incorporate them into the meal prep.

The interesting thing this week is that S misbehaved with his Lego's so he had his Lego privileges taken away for a full 24-hours. N was so sweet and didn't play with Lego's either since his brother couldn't. So, they had to come up with something different to play. They found a box of figurines (not Star Wars but more general action figures, Spider man, Iron Man, etc.) and kept referring to them as the new figurines. Anyway, they've been playing with those figurines for the whole week. Even when they could go back to Lego's they haven't really done so.

Today, it's the boys' snack day at preschool - i.e., they are bringing the snack. I made a bunch of zucchini, carrot, apple muffins, sliced up a bunch of oranges from our tree and then bought and shelled a bunch of edamame. I hope it goes over well. They also have their first pizza day at the school where they stay late and have pizza for lunch with the other kids. They are very excited. Kind of a nice way to have a special end to the week.

Dinner: chicken, cranberry sauce (boys were so happy cranberries are back in season), broccoli, corn bread and strawberries.

Books: Witch on a Broom (or something like that) (S & N). Movie: Cars

No comments: