Monday, January 11, 2010

Grandparents

Friday, my last grandparent died - my mom's mom. Three years ago I had all four of my grandparents, which I suppose if you figure I am forty is pretty good (and lucky). Both my grandmas had dementia issues so I felt like I sort of lost them years ago. My mom mentioned that she and her brothers said they were now orphans... I sort of feel like I've lost those people that make everything special and with whom you don't have all the baggage to muddle things up like you do with your parents. Although, once you become an adult and have your own family, you lose some of that anyway.

I came home feeling sad Friday after work since I had received the call earlier that day. I felt like I should be honest with the boys about that so when J came home and told me sorry, the boys wanted to know what was going on. I told them that my grandma had died (they didn't know her since her health and mind had been deteriorating pretty bad since when they were born) and so I was feeling really sad. They asked why she died and if it hurt and how is it that your body dies and how does it happen that you stop breathing. We tried to answer as best as possible. We explained that grandma's body was really old and very tired from trying to get well cause she had been sick for a long, long time. Eventually her body just was too tired from all of it so she just stopped breathing/living and her spirit went up to Heaven. I thought for sure we'd get a ton of questions at that point since we hadn't talked about the concept of Heaven before (ever). Nope. I think they were still trying to digest what happens and why it would happen and how it felt. After that, we just moved on and there were surprisingly no questions after that.

We'll go up to my aunt's place this Friday for the services. Not sure if it will just be me or if the whole family will come. We are still sorting that out.

In the meantime, this weekend really felt like a catch up weekend. Kind of getting back to normal. Went back to music class after not having class for the last 2 weeks. Went to our favorite breakfast place Sunday AM and then to the steam engines. Sadly, N woke up sick this AM (Monday) and given how he was behaving Sunday afternoon, I'm guessing he was already not feeling so great at that point.

Dinner: Rustic roasted chicken, green beans, cranberry sauce and homemade graham cracker cookies (mmm)

No comments: