This last weekend was as busy as ever. People warned us that our weekends would get crazy once we started preschool and had the birthday party circuit that comes with it. Kind of like when people said we'd be tired ALL the TIME once we had our babies - sure, we've been tired before, no big deal. I guess it is one of those things you can't really "get" until you are fully immersed in it. I mean, come on, there are 19 kids, 2 of which are my boys. Some of those kids had to be born in the summer which would take out a couple birthday parties. So, that would leave maybe 15 kids' parties and surely the boys wouldn't be invited to every one of them. We've had 3 or 4 birthday parties from their preschool friends in the last month and a half or so. That doesn't sound like so many but wow, it does seem like we are going to a party practically every weekend!
This weekend was definitely exceptional because we had a preschool party to attend and then also our sweet neighbor's party (she turned 4) the same day, practically the same day. Since we tried to go to both, it felt like one big marathon party day. Don't get me wrong - the boys had a blast. And considering they skipped nap to attend all the parties, they actually did pretty well. At one point, N did come up and sit with me to watch the party entertainment (at the first party). He snuggled in, played with my hair, sucked his finger and chilled out for a good 15-20 minutes. Who knows, maybe that rejuvenated him enough to get through the rest of the day.
Besides the crazy party day Saturday, we also squeezed in date night Friday (I was with N and surprise, surprise, we went to Islands!), played Sleeping Beauty Friday (hysterical family game the boys made up where I was the princess, the boys were the brave princes, and J was the evil Malificent who kept trying to put a spell on me to make me fall asleep, the boys would battle him, kill him, kiss me to wake me up and then Malificent would wake up and we start over), Sunday early entry to Huntington Gardens (this time with our lovely neighbors and their young son), breakfast at our favorite breakfast place (again with the same neighbors... we just went after the Gardens), Farmer's market, play time at home, nap, baths, showers, more Bionicles and Lego playtime, etc. No wonder we all felt tired Sunday evening!
Last night, we wound up having a horrible dinner. I felt so terrible how it all wound up playing out. It was one of those things that when you are in mode, your feet are dug in but once a little time goes by you just know maybe that wasn't the way it should have been handled. I made beef stroganoff, brown rice, and steamed green beans (frozen ones, which we never have). This was our first time having beef stroganoff... and I very unwisely put the stroganoff directly on the brown rice rather than keeping them separately for the boys. Neither boy liked the stroganoff, nor the green beans (I had to agree with them on the green beans) but I (and J) insisted they eat a little of both and that they weren't going to have any fruit and that they sure better not tell me they were hungry at bed time or ask for more food later. N was practically in tears when he left the table and asked me to lay with him on the couch. I am so thankful he at least asked me to lay with him so I could connect with him after being so not friendly.
Hopefully, I can learn from that experience and move on... I guess no more beef Stroganoff in our future (at least for quite awhile).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment