Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Decisions, Decisions - or Should I Say Indecision

This last Thursday, after N's speech appointment, his therapist (Jeanni) told me that he was doing exceptionally well, that he was picking up the concepts so much faster than she ever would have expected, that he was obviously very bright and so ready to learn. I mentioned that his speech issues was one of the reasons that we had held him back from K this year. She said that she would suggest him going ahead and going to K this year. Should I mention that she's telling me this Thursday night and the boys' local school was starting classes the following Monday - as in one business day between hearing this and school starting! Ummm, right. She said she thought N was so bright that we'd really risk him being bored if we waited. My stomach completely dropped. Yes, I was happy that N is so bright but I couldn't focus on that... I was too busy completely freaking out that the decision we had worked so hard to get to (having the boys go to pre-K this year) was maybe wrong and that we'd need to change directions instantaneously and start school in one day. We already pulled their application, we missed the teacher assessment so they could figure out what time slot/which class they should go to and most importantly (in my mind) we hadn't even prepped the boys at all. J's biggest worry was we hadn't gone school shopping yet.

So, we decided to stick with pre-K. We figured that next year if the boys seem so advanced, they would get placed in the K/1 combo class or maybe they'd be able to handle the foreign language immersion program.

But then we thought some more... they could start school a week (or two) late. We needed to make sure we were sticking with our original decision for the right reasons (not just because we couldn't handle the sudden change). So, I emailed the lady who had done N's original speech assessment. She emailed me back that she'd still stick with her original assessment that he'd be better off waiting a year. That said, she hadn't talked with Jeanni so maybe she's missing the "real" Nikoli? She's on vacation until the end of the month and Jeanni is on vacation this week. So, if we do for some reason decide to change directions, it won't be for a couple of weeks. The indecision is really consuming me at this point.

On a positive note, we head to Palm Springs for a few days. We are going with our music class friends. It will be our first group vacation like this. Should be fun. The boys are definitely very excited!

No comments: