Wow... time flies and things have felt so busy. In terms of what we've been up to - we have been in full preschool mode, including a really fun BBQ at the house for the families in the boys' preschool class; I fractured my hand (playing tennis with my mom in Ojai) so had to contend with a cast which makes cooking and general life a little extra difficult; a family trip (and plane ride!) to Sacramento to visit my mom and J & I to go off for some alone time; Halloween; and we are very quickly approaching Thanksgiving and the fun (but oh so hectic holidays).
Our trip to Sacramento seems so long ago but it was only a month or so ago. We had a great time. The boys did REALLY well on the flight (there and back). I know N was really nervous about the flight but I sat between he and S and talked him through as each thing was coming up to give him plenty of warning and explain any noise fully. I think with his personality it really helped. We had dinner plus the excitement of a new Lego book (for each of them of course!). And, luckily the flight is only one hour or so. They loved being at my mom's place. She has a great back yard for exploring and of course there was Bailey (the dog). Throw into the mix that while they were just with Gram (while J & I took a couple day excursion to Napa), they were completely spoiled, they were in hog heaven!
Halloween was so much fun. We didn't get to squeeze in as many pumpkin patch visits (luckily we did one early in October and the boys went to one when they were visiting Gram) but we still generally squeeze in lots of Halloween festivity. The boys were General Grievous (from Star Wars/Clone Wars) and then they were also Commander Cody (from Clone Wars as well). They loved dressing up in their costumes. They carved pumpkins with J. And as has now become tradition, we had our annual street party at the neighbors. That party just gets better and better as all the kids get a little older.As far as generally where we are... both boys have been seeing Jeannie (the speech therapist). It is really amazing how much progress they've made and how much they've embraced the work and sessions. She also pointed out to us that the boys are starting to read on their own - simple words they've picked up. They've definitely figured that out on their own as we haven't been giving them reading lessons/instruction but we do read to them regularly and I guess that really does help.
In the last week or so, both boys have stopped wearing a diaper at night. S started first after he had a couple night's of dry diapers. When he got to try and N didn't (he still had full diapers at night), that really didn't go over so well. N was so sad and really frustrated we wouldn't let him try. But... sure enough, a few days later, N miraculously had a dry diaper one night so we let him try. He's had a couple accidents but he's also made it through the night a couple of times as well. I thought we were months from getting to this point so I have been pleasantly surprised and excited that we are soo close!
I've also noticed that it has now become the norm that when one of the boys is upset for any reason (except of course if they are upset because of their brother), the other boy will completely goof off and do anything and everything in his power (including acting totally over the top!) to get his brother distracted and laughing. It is pretty funny to watch. Also so sweet. We still have our moments (and always will, I'm sure) but they have really been playing so well together lately. Almost too well... which brings us to the last of the latest - farting and burping. Everything farting or burping is HYSTERICAL (at least to them!). They can get each going (laughing/goofing off) so quickly by going down this route and sadly this "route" shows up pretty much at every dinner. Ugh. We haven't figured out how to navigate this newest development and hope that they will quickly outgrow it (some, at least!).
Oh, and to end on a positive note, I had the Fall parent-teacher meeting with their preschool teachers. And it went really well. The teachers said they are really well behaved, great kids and play really well with everyone.
In the last week or so, both boys have stopped wearing a diaper at night. S started first after he had a couple night's of dry diapers. When he got to try and N didn't (he still had full diapers at night), that really didn't go over so well. N was so sad and really frustrated we wouldn't let him try. But... sure enough, a few days later, N miraculously had a dry diaper one night so we let him try. He's had a couple accidents but he's also made it through the night a couple of times as well. I thought we were months from getting to this point so I have been pleasantly surprised and excited that we are soo close!
I've also noticed that it has now become the norm that when one of the boys is upset for any reason (except of course if they are upset because of their brother), the other boy will completely goof off and do anything and everything in his power (including acting totally over the top!) to get his brother distracted and laughing. It is pretty funny to watch. Also so sweet. We still have our moments (and always will, I'm sure) but they have really been playing so well together lately. Almost too well... which brings us to the last of the latest - farting and burping. Everything farting or burping is HYSTERICAL (at least to them!). They can get each going (laughing/goofing off) so quickly by going down this route and sadly this "route" shows up pretty much at every dinner. Ugh. We haven't figured out how to navigate this newest development and hope that they will quickly outgrow it (some, at least!).
Oh, and to end on a positive note, I had the Fall parent-teacher meeting with their preschool teachers. And it went really well. The teachers said they are really well behaved, great kids and play really well with everyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment