For Labor Day weekend, we decided to try backyard camping with the boys and invited some of our neighbors to join us. I'm not a camper but I figured we'd still have fun. The boys were really excited. I wasn't sure what to expect but no matter what I expected it far exceeded any thing I could have imagined.
J went out and got a nice large tent on sale and after the boys woke up from their nap Saturday afternoon, J set it up in the backyard. A couple other neighbors started setting up their tents and the kids started getting super excited! While the tents went up, the kids ran around and played. Eventually we started our backyard camping BBQ with even more neighbors.
The kids ate at the kids' table while the adults were able to sit at the big table and chat. It started getting dark so we got out the flashlights and let the kids run around the backyard with those. Eventually, we set up a new portable firepit so we could roast marshmallows and make s'mores. 
With it dark outside and everyone outside and our tents in the yard, it totally felt "real". A little more running around for the kids and then we got everyone ready for bed (this was one HUGE benefit of backyard camping as opposed to real camping - we got to go inside, get ready for bed, brush teeth, etc.!) Everyone got into their tents. The boys were completely vamped up - I thought for sure they'd never fall asleep. J was on our couch mattress (it is actually a xl twin bed mattress) and the boys and I were lined up horizontally across the Queen (or double?!) air mattress with me sandwiched between both boys. J was out cold. The boys were super wiggly. I wasn't comfortable. But eventually the boys fell asleep and I laid there. While I couldn't sleep, it was still an awesome night. Both boys were so snugly and it was so nice to have that time with them.
We woke up bright and early (definitely earlier than the other families) but the boys were so rearing to go! We laid there and I told them a couple of stories - most were about the squirrel that was playing in the tree over our head (we could see him through our tent and kept wondering what would happen if he decided to jump down into our tent). We got the giggles going from the squirrel stories. The boys started singing to one of their friends to wake up. FINALLY, someone else woke up and then pretty soon everyone else was awake. The kids were in their PJs and ran around and played. J & I made a quick breakfast inside and then brought it out so we could eat outside. Eventually, I headed off to the farmer's market and when I got back, all the kids were still in their PJs and had moved inside to play Lego's. They stayed like that pretty much until lunch!
We'll definitely do that again. And this time I'm really looking forward to it. Even with it being camping!
No comments:
Post a Comment