Monday, June 15, 2009

Competition and Twins

The boys had their gymnastics "show" this last Saturday AM. Their Little Hoppers group was the first to perform and they did a little dance of sorts to Lollypop/Lollypop. I was so impressed with how well the boys went with the flow and handled so much waiting. There was a line when we arrive to check in and it moved S-L-O-W. Then, once they were checked in, they went with their teacher (Heather) and waited with their little group for the show to start. Then each group walked out to their designated area with one kid from each holding the name of their class/group. They waited so patiently while the other kids lined up. Then, a very young girl (probably 8 or 9ish) sang the National Anthem (probably the first time the boys have heard that). She was amazing and all I could think the whole time she was singing was that her mom had to be there and had to have been so proud of her daughter.

Then the rest of the kids went back to sit and the boys had their show. It was too cute. We have a simple video and you can hear me laughing the entire time. The boys really handled the fact that there were so many people. S was smiling hugely the whole show. N was watching S the whole time. Then they lined up and each kid's name was called as they walked up a little set of podium stairs, they'd "salut" by putting both arms up and then they put a medal around each child's neck. It was alphabetical so the boys were last - N and the S. When they called N, S did his salut too. My heart was so full and so proud and they were doing a simple little show.

After the other preschool classes did their shows, then the director of the school talked on the microphone and said they were giving out the Heart of Gold trophies to a person in each class. I saw Heather with a little girl from the boys' class and figured it was going to that little girl. Heather kept looking over at us though and finally someone came over to get S. He just walked with the person like it was the most normal thing to do. He and the little girl each got a trophy. He was so excited and I was so excited for him but I was also worried about how N was going to feel. This was a new experience for all of us and I can see why many twins moms put their kids in completely different activities/sports. N was fine but then once S came back and sat on my lap (he was beaming at this point), N wanted to know when he was going up to get his trophy. We explained it was just for S. You could see N retreat at that point. I felt really bad for him and I know it kept us from making a big deal for S.

Surprisingly, S elected to stay and watch the rest of the show. There were some amazingly talented little girls (there were only little girls in the more competitive classes) and I kept thinking wow and their parents must be so proud considering how proud I was of my boys with their simple little show. N wanted to leave but each time he realized S and I weren't leaving and he'd be going without us, he elected to stay. A long morning but wow, did the boys do well.

Dinner: with my mom as J & I had a night out with a HS friend visiting for the night. I believe the boys had leftovers and then also ice cream "sundaes" - vanilla ice cream, dried blueberries, and nuts.

Stories: not sure, my mom read them stories that night

No comments: