Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Vacation Success!

We took our first "vacation" in quite some time (after the last one was a disaster when the boys would not nap or sleep). Our vacation was a short weekend trip to my aunt and uncle's place up in Visalia, a 2 1/2 hour drive from our place. We left Saturday first thing in the AM and returned Monday midday.

Saturday: we packed as much as possible Friday night but we still rushed around Saturday trying to get going as early as we could. We packed up the car, I made a quick breakfast (egg sandwich) plus broccoli, carrot sticks, cheese, fruit, etc., and loaded in. We put the special trays we bought that go with their car seats and they were very excited to see those. The boys had breakfast and then we just chatted and checked out all the trucks, tractors, etc. as we drove. We read some books. The boys colored and did a sticker book. They actually did quite well - we've fought the DVD fall-back most folks use for trips but there was still only minimal "how long until we get there" near the end of the trip.
We arrived around 11ish. Asked the boys if they wanted to swim but they were more enamored with the supply of Lego's Aunt M had found and brought out for them to play with while they were there. Eventually, the lure of the pool called and so we finally got to "swim" with them after they'd learned so much from their lessons. N was seriously swimming all over the place. He was almost possessed to do "laps" (reminded me of when he was little and not yet crawling and he'd do this move we called the swim where he would lay on his stomach and lift up his legs and arms at the same time and flap his arms). S was much more cautious but still had made a lot of progress since last year. I let them swim a little later than I normally would so that meant they went down for nap a little late. I was dreading nap time to see if they'd sleep at all. Not sure if it was all the swimming (probably) or the fact that I told them a couple times earlier that if they slept well we'd be able to take another trip sometime and if they didn't we probably wouldn't for quite some time, but they had a great nap - both of them. They were in strange rooms by themselves and they slept great. After their nap, we played Lego's, swam some (I think), ate a nice dinner outside, the boys "played golf" by kicking a golf ball around on my uncle's putting green in the backyard, and played in the grass out front with Grammy. They were a little more nervous about sleeping in the strange rooms once it was dark but they knew we'd each be sleeping with them (J was with N and I was with S the first night). S got sleep but I did not - he moves sooo much in his sleep.
Sunday: Boys got up bright and early. I tried to snooze in my room. Finally got up after it seemed like the boys had been up quite awhile. Looked at the clock; it was only 8:15 and the boys had already eaten breakfast and were getting ready to go out to the pool. They swam for a good hour or so and it was only 9:20. My mom went to visit her mom, my aunt and uncle were at church and the boys seemed board. And did I mention, it was only 9:20. J got them going with the Lego's and I read them some books. Once my mom returned, back into the pool they went, we then had a quick lunch, said good bye to my mom (she was heading back home) and then got the boys down for their nap. Again, they had a great nap. Sunday afternoon, some more swimming, some more Lego's and a lot of following Aunt M around the house. The boys were completely in love with her and trailed her around the house. It was so cute. She's really great with them. After a nice dinner, the boys played some more golf and then got to go for a ride in Uncle S' golf cart around the circle (3 times -2 times with Uncle S and once with J). They loved it. It was my night with N. He was really upset he wasn't sleeping with J. Then he was so sad when he realized we were leaving the next day. He kept crying. I had to agree with him (not out loud of course) - I didn't want to go home either.

Monday AM: boys were up early again. Couldn't wait for Aunt M to come out and then they followed her all over the house. They really wanted to swim but I stalled them with Lego's and books. Aunt M had an obligation for about an hour and the boys must have asked a thousand times when was she going to be back and where was she and what was she doing. Around 9:30, we finally let the boys swim and that's when Aunt M was back. The boys were so happy. We swam for a good hour and half (I got everything organized during this time), changed, loaded up the truck and we were back on the road heading home around 11:30. After all that swimming, I really thought that after I fed the boys their truck-picnic lunch, they'd completely conk out. Nope. N needed to go poop but wouldn't do so in his diaper in the car (he wanted to wait to go in his diaper in his room) so he was completely vamped up/over tired and entertained us with a constant chitter-chatter, goofy-ness the whole way home. As expected, as soon as we got home (around 2), N pooped, and both boys were out cold within minutes.

One thing I noticed (more so after we were back home) is how little "issues" we had while we on our trip. There were no time outs the entire time and limited flopping or whining. We were probably more relaxed and the boys fed off that as well as they were probably in heaven with the extra attention (from us since we didn't have any of the distractions of home as well as from my aunt and uncle and their Grammy).

I can't wait to go on our next trip.

In the meantime, tomorrow AM we meet the boys' preschool teacher. Very exciting.

No comments: