Friday, September 18, 2009

Traveling (solo)

Yesterday, I had a one-day business trip to San Francisco (about an hour flight from here). My morning flight was at 7AM so I knew I'd have to get up a little earlier than normal. My return flight wasn't until 8PM so I figured I get home after the boys were in bed and hopefully asleep as well. So Tuesday at dinner I brought up that I was going on a trip in a couple of days and I wouldn't be able to say good bye in the AM (they'd still be sleeping) nor would I be able to do their bedtime routine with them when I returned (they'd already be in bed). N was a bit worried and asked a couple times that night if I was leaving the next day. I explained it wasn't until the following day... anyway, by the time Thursday came around they both knew I was going on my trip that day. S woke up early and so I was able to say good bye to him; N woke a little bit, enough to worry that I wasn't saying good bye to him and that he needed a hug. Although I knew it was too early for them to get up I was deep down so happy I was able to say good morning to the them and good bye before I headed off on my trip. Hard part was that S actually started crying when I said good bye to him (he hasn't done that in quite some time) and didn't want me to go.

So, after saying good bye, off I went on my trip. Conference was interesting but of course I was tired. I snuck in a quick (hour or so) coffee visit with a college friend that lives up there. Back in the taxi and back to the airport. Sure enough, I got home around 9:40. Both boys were still awake (in bed). They heard me come in and immediately called me in.

It is interesting how much they want to talk when they haven't seen you in awhile. They asked a lot of questions about the "trip", what I was doing, etc. I rocked S (part of our night time routine these days) and I rubbed N's back/legs/arms/hair as is part of his night time routine. Kissed them each good night and they went to sleep. Again, I was so happy that I was still able to say good night to them. Definitely made my day complete. I also love going in when they are all sleepy and squishy and warm and snuggly.

No comments: